Geocaching is a type of treasure hunt of people looking for ‘caches’ or hidden stashes of collectible items. The honor system allow people to find, participate, and leave caches in discreet locations. Specifically, ‘Geocaching is a real-world, outdoor treasure hunting game using GPS-enabled devices. Participants navigate to a specific set of GPS coordinates and then attempt to find the geocache (container) hidden at that location.’ One of the most important aspects of this activity is appreciating and exploring nature. Since 2000 this activity ahs grown world wide and Recreation is introducing geocache to the Lake Worth Beach Community!
You can learn more Geocaching 101 here.
The instructions to play are as follows:
- Register a free account at Geocaching.com
- Visit the “View Map” page from the dropdown menu.
- Enter Lake Worth and click “search.”
- Select the geocache from our list below that will be updated weekly.
- Enter the coordinates of the geocache into your GPS Device.
- Use your GPS device to assist you in finding the hidden geocache.
- Once you find it, sign the logbook and remember it’s code. Make sure to return the geocache to its original location. Go to your account and find ‘Log a Geocache’ in the drop down menu and use the specific code.
- Lastly, share your geocaching stories and photos with us on social media! For every geocache you find make sure you email email@example.com.
A new geocache location will be revealed every week for 8 weeks. The first person to find all 8 geocaches and notify the Recreation coordinator, will receive a Geocache Grand Prize. All other participants who complete the 8 searches will also be able to receive a Geocache related prize.
Week 1 – Lake Worth Pier
Week 2 – Remember that Sticky Situation
Week 3 – Back Stage Pass
Week 4 – revealed on 2/22
Week 5 – revealed on 3/1
Week 5 – revealed on 3/8
Week 6 – revealed on 3/15
Week 7 – revealed on 3/22
Week 8 – revealed on 3/29
Take time on your hunting to explore our beautiful outdoor spaces. Good luck!